Dani Pedrosa, Nicky Hayden, Cal Crutchlow and Alvaro Bautista then realised their tyre error on the warm-up lap and pulled into the pits to switch to their slick bikes and start from the end of pit lane.
Pedrosa caught Lorenzo after ten laps, but then ran wide and dropped five-seconds behind. However Lorenzo got into a tank-slapper while trying to lap James Ellison just before the halfway mark, which turned into a massive highside.
Pedrosa then rode to a comfortable win, while Crutchlow later crashed out of second place - handing the position to Lorenzo's team-mate and Yamaha test rider Katsuyuki Nakasuga, replacing injured Factory Yamaha rider Ben Spies and also starting on slicks.
Casey Stoner put in a late charge to claim third from Alvaro Bautista in his final MotoGP appearance.
1. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 48m 23.819s
2. Katsuyuki Nakasuga JPN Yamaha Factory Racing (YZR-M1) 49m 1.480s
3. Casey Stoner AUS Repsol Honda (RC213V) 49m 24.452s
4. Alvaro Bautista ESP San Carlo Honda Gresini (RC213V) 49m 26.630s
5. Michele Pirro ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini (FTR-Honda CRT) 49m 50.427s
6. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 49m 54.242s
7. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing (GP12) 49m 55.608s
8. Danilo Petrucci ITA Came IodaRacing (Suter-BMW CRT) 1 lap
9. James Ellison GBR Paul Bird Motorsport (ART CRT) 1 lap
10. Valentino Rossi ITA Ducati Team (GP12) 1 lap
11. Aleix Espargaro ESP Power Electronics Aspar (ART CRT) 1 lap 12. Randy De Puniet FRA Power Electronics Aspar (ART CRT) 2 laps
13. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Avintia Blusens (FTR-Kawasaki CRT) 2 laps
14. Colin Edwards USA NGM Forward Racing (Suter-BMW CRT) 3 laps
Cal Crutchlow GBR Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1)
Claudio Corti ITA Avintia Blusens (Inmotec-Kawasaki CRT)
Hector Barbera ESP Pramac Racing (GP12)
Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory Racing (YZR-M1)
Stefan Bradl GER LCR Honda MotoGP (RC213V)
Roberto Rolfo ITA Speed Master (ART CRT)
Ivan Silva ESP Avintia Blusens (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)
Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Team (GP12)